FFmpeg is a collection of libraries and tools to process multimedia content such as audio, video, subtitles and related metadata.
It is a cross platform tool that we will use to make the conversion.
Convert .mov to .mp4
To do it on windows easily, here are the small steps you need to follow:
- Download a ffmpeg windows build from ffmpeg.com.
- Unzip it and place it in
Program Filesfor example.
- Add the ffmpeg to your
PATHenvironment variable with the
cmd.exetool (windows CLI).
setx /M PATH "D:\Program Files\ffmpeg\bin;%PATH%"
- Check that it is now working (you might need to source the env variables or re open
- Go to the directory with all the
.movfiles using the
DIRto display what’s in the directory.
- You can find the path to your folder in the explorer (click on the top bar).
- If the folder is situated in another disk like D, type
D:to switch to it then use the
- Run this loop command to convert all the
.movfiles from that directory to
FOR /r %i IN (*.MOV) DO ffmpeg -i "%i" -vcodec h264 -acodec mp2 "%~ni.mp4"
That’s it you’re done. Now you should have in that folder all of your files
.mov and the
.mp4 with the same name.
Convert .ogg to .mp3
If you have music you want to convert from one format to another (.ogg or else). You could do the same step, and just change the ffmpeg command with:
ffmpeg -i music.ogg music.mp3
-i is the input music.ogg, the output name will be music.mp3.